We have developed a software for design of brushless DC motors with fractional number of slots per pole and phase, and with a stator winding consisting of a set of concentric coils.
Calculation of brushless DC motors is based on input data comprising: input DC voltage, nominal motor torque, nominal speed in rpm, number of phases.
The developed software enables:
Calculation steps incorporated into our design tools
- automatic determination of optimal geometry of the motor, namely: outer stator diameter, inner stator diameter, air gap value, the active length of the motor, the geometry of stator slots, stator yoke thickness, a geometry of permanent magnets, rotor yoke thickness, shaft diameter;
- automatic selection of permanent magnets and magnetization type of permanent magnets;
- automatic selection of a number of turns of the stator winding, geometry of the wire and a filling factor for the stator slot;
- automatic analysis of the magnetic circuit of the motor;
- automatic calculation of a torque factor and a back EMF factor of the motor;
- automatic calculation of losses and efficiency of the motor;
- automatic calculation of dependences of motor torque, stator current and motor efficiency on the motor speed;
- automatic calculation of dependences of motor speed, stator current and motor efficiency on the motor torque;
- automatic thermal calculation of the motor based on a detailed equivalent thermal scheme of the motor and a graph theory
Below you will find typical performance characteristics for one of our designs:
This data corresponds to experiments.
Capabilities of our design software
Our design software enables designing of brushless DC motors either with concentric windings, or with a partial number of slots per phase per pole or with distributed windings.
We are capable of designing a single brushless DC motor as well as a series of brushless DC motors.
We can perform a full finite element analysis of a brushless DC motor.
We can perform calculation of operation modes of a brushless DC motor for different types of control including vector control.
We can perform a full thermomechanical analysis of components of a motor, such as a shaft, a housing, bearing shields and a stator winding including forces acting on the winding during operation.
We can develop a full structure of a brushless DC motor with an outline drawing or a general drawing. We can provide drawings of main components of a brushless DC motor corresponding to specific requirements of a customer.
We can design brushless DC motors for any of the following implementations: IP54, IP55 or IP23.
Based on our patent US 8253295 “Schemes of interchangeable windings of electrical machines” we can design a brushless DC motor with a sinusoidal distribution of MMF in the air-gap and a double-layer or a triple-layer stator winding not having intersections in the end-winding region. Such windings are easier for manufacturing and more suitable for pulling into the slots. This leads to better reliability of the windings and a higher filling factor for the stator slots. Brushless DC motors with a sinusoidal distribution of MMF in the air-gap have lower core losses and, consequently, a higher efficiency and produce less noise.